Tools for Note-Taking

Imagine this:  it’s the first day of a new module.  You’ve realized that how you used to take notes might not be the most effective way for the fast-paced IAA, but may not have had the time to research alternative options. There are so many great note-taking options out there, and by introducing several options, hopefully, you can find the one that works best for you!

Paper vs. Digital

Of course, the most familiar note-taking method is on paper – grab a notebook and a writing utensil, and you’ll be on your way! However, as technology has gotten more advanced and relatively more accessible, there’s been a shift towards using digital notes.

Paper

Pros:

• Retention 
  • Distractions
  • Accessibility

Cons:

• Accessibility
  • Navigation
  • Editing Capabilities 

Writing notes can aid with retention – a couple of studies (one done jointly by the University of California and Princeton University in 2014 and one conducted by the University of Tokyo in 2021) support this. For some, writing notes by hand can even help with distractions, as you will never receive a notification from your notebook! Accessibility is both a pro and a con for paper notes. Paper (notebooks, looseleaf, etc.) is relatively less expensive than their digital alternatives, as are the writing utensils. Most people already have the necessary tools. If not, the tools are accessible at most institutions. 

On the downside, the notetaker will need adequate space to store note-taking tools. Paper notes are better for those with good handwriting. Conversely, they can be a nightmare for those whose writing is illegible or who constantly find themselves smudging the words. Navigation can also be a challenge for paper notetakers – many digital options have searching capabilities more potent than someone flipping through their notebook trying to find notes on a particular lecture or topic. Lastly, it can be harder to make format changes or add content to paper notes.

Considering all this, if paper notes are the way you want to go, there are some ways to mitigate the cons. My advice would be to label notes with their associated lectures and the date(s) the lecture took place. You could also consider setting up a table of contents. Use tools such as sticky notes and highlighters to highlight important items. If you often make mistakes, it may be worth using a pencil to take notes or investing in some white-out. 

Digital

Pros: 

• Addresses Paper Cons
  • Integration
  • Toolbox

Cons: 

• Paper Pros
  • Learning Curve

Digital notes address many of the cons with paper notes: it’s easier to make changes, and you don’t need good handwriting (though you most likely want to be a good typist!). You already have a laptop for your coursework, so you don’t need to carry around an extra item.

Additionally, digital notes allow for better integration between resources:

• Add relevant links directly to your notes.
  • Download and mark up slides directly, depending on the software you are using.
  • Collaborate easily.

Besides integration, digital note-taking usually allows highlighting and annotating notes without extra writing utensils. 

Digital notes have their cons too – while digital notes address many of the paper notes’ cons, they don’t necessarily tout the paper notes’ pros. There is more potential for a lack of retention and increased distraction. Also, as people traditionally learn to take notes on paper, there is a learning curve to the digital options. If you don’t use note-taking tools effectively, you may be unable to take advantage of all the pros.

Since there are a lot of digital tools available, let’s explore four of them:

OneNote

Pros: 

• Cost
  • Capabilities
  • Cross-Platform and Cloud-Based

Cons: 

• Navigation

OneNote is a great tool that you should familiarize yourself with. It’s free and has some neat features when it comes to note-taking. You can upload slides (which for the IAA are easily accessible) and annotate them directly. It’s also easy to find content in the notes – OneNote’s search function doesn’t look at just the text but can also identify text in images. So, if you take a screenshot of something with text, the program can find it as long as it’s legible. You can also make folders and separate notes. Besides making it organized, it’s easy to move notes into another folder or subgroup later if you feel it would have a better home elsewhere. 

However, navigation can be challenging. If your OneNote isn’t organized well, navigating and finding what you need may be difficult when you don’t know the exact phrase to look for. One way to address this is to ensure that OneNote is organized from the get-go! Make a system that works for you.

Microsoft Word / Google Docs

Pros: 

• Cross-Platform / Cloud Based
  • Familiarity
  • Collaborators

Cons: 

• Organization
  • Collaboration

Microsoft Word is free for students, and most people know how to use it. However, Microsoft Word doesn’t perform as well for organizing notes, and it can be challenging to collaborate with others unless you use Microsoft 365. 

Google Docs is similar to Microsoft Word but is cross-platform and cloud-based. You can have as many collaborators as you want. It’s easy to use, and many people are already familiar with it. 

For both, it can be more challenging to organize notes and only has some of the capabilities that the other options do. If you decide to go with these options, organizing folders well from the get-go and utilizing the heading options may be helpful. Something nice about Google Docs is that if you use headings, there is a Table of Contents that will populate in the top right corner (see the image below) that links you to different sections, which is excellent for navigation.

Accessing Table of Contents with Linked Headings in Google Docs

Notion

Pros: 

• Cross-Platform / Cloud-Based
  • Flexibility
  • Collaboration

Cons: 

• Learning Curve
  • Payment Barrier

Notion is a neat cross-platform and cloud-based tool that offers users plenty of flexibility. Users can add widgets and even code items directly. It’s awesome if you want to insert code blocks! Notion also has excellent collaborative abilities and features, e.g. Kanban boards. With all those features comes a significant learning curve. Notion can be challenging for users to learn and use effectively. There is also a payment barrier – they limit the number of collaborators for free accounts.

Since one of the biggest challenges with using Notion is the learning curve, here are some resources if you’re interested in exploring Notion further: 

Tablet

Pros:

• Paper Pros
  • Digital Pros
  • Addresses Some Paper and Digital Cons

Cons: 

• Cost
  • Expiration
  • May Not Address All Cons

I have the least personal experience with tablets, but wanted to mention them briefly. Tablets marry the pros of writing and digital notes but have a much higher upfront cost. If you are interested in this option, a classmate suggested using GoodNotes! OneNote, as mentioned earlier in this post, is also available for tablet use.

What I Use

I use a mix of mediums, primarily handwriting and OneNote. 

Handwriting helps me remember content better, and I appreciate the lack of distractions. I love making handwritten study guides for exam preparation or review.

My Handwritten Study Guide

Daily, I default to using OneNote. I enjoy OneNote because I can look at my notes on both my laptop and PC. The drawing function is also nice; my laptop has a touchscreen, so it’s easier for me to make drawings or write directly on the notes. The screenshot of my notes shows some of the aforementioned features called out.

My OneNote Notes with Features Highlighted

I enjoy Notion for organizational purposes, but it is not my preference because it can be difficult to find what I want. It also has a learning curve. When taking notes, I don’t want to think about the tool I’m taking notes on more than the content I’m taking notes on. 

I don’t usually find the need to share my personal notes, which removes the downside of more difficult collaboration. If I need to share notes, e.g., meeting agendas, Google Docs is an excellent option. While some of the other tools here also have collaborative and sharing capabilities, I find that most people have some familiarity with Google Docs so it’s less of a hassle to set up.

Looking Ahead

I hope you were taking notes! Just kidding, this blog post isn’t going anywhere. This is not an extensive list, but it may be a good start. Don’t be afraid to experiment to find what works for you. Happy note-taking!

Columnist: Michelle Chen